Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Home Renovations

The McClish family is working on a project in our home. We are adding a small room off our kitchen to serve as a mud room/dog room/storage/utility room/walk in pantry. It will have multiple uses. I say we, but Andrew has really ran solo on this. I am in more of a support role to assist him whenever he needs a drink refill, extra hand to hold something, that sort of thing.  The whole project was also his idea and he has executed it perfectly without prior construction experience! Not that I am surprised, he is brilliant like that. One of the many cool things that comes with marriage to an engineer! The need for this room came from growing our family to 2 dogs and wanting a place to keep them and their gear when we aren't home that is not one of our 3 bedrooms. I have other plans for that bedroom one day...and it is not for a dog if you know what I mean:) The added space will also provide more storage, square footage, and value to our house that may come in handy if and when we sell someday.
  
                                    
 It is difficult to imagine if you have never been to our house, but this is our pantry before. A VERY small closet type space next to our hot water heater closet. We plan to knock down the wall behind these shelves:


                                     
 Behind that wall is this space. See that Budwiser cooler (don't ask me why we have such an item..I think we bought it in a pinch at a gas station in Austin) in the top left corner shelf? That is the original pantry wall.

Andrew demolished that work bench area you can't really see. He eventually built a wall accross that space closing it in as part of the house. We now walk into the new room from the old pantry.

Before this was taken I moved all of my pantry contents to our mantle, kitchen table, and various other areas of open space I could find throughout the house and Andrew took out the shelves.

Let the demolition begin! Good thing he didn't wear his nice socks for this....

So far the wall is up and the skeleton of the room is complete! It looks great and I will take a picture soon so you can see for yoursleves. Now we Andrew, with the help of his brother who used to remodel homes for a living, will finish it out by instaling a new pantry, hanging shelves, painting (I get to help with this part), and installing new tile. I can't wait!


Nathalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)