Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Growing our family...part II

So I know my blog readers (all 3 of them) are on the edge of their seat in anticipation for news of what we decided to do about the dog Wesson. Thing is...you all probably could have guessed the outcome. We are now a 2 dog family...although I am still a bit embarrassed to say.

Here is the thing. I never really saw myself as a dog person. Yeah I thought they were nice and for sure chose them over cats any day! I don't like cats if you can't tell...they are creepy and stinky and my left eye waters any time one comes near me. I know for some they are the best companions, but I am just not a cat person. Wow...how did I get on that tangent? Back to dogs. When Andrew talked me into getting June I got really into it and grew to love that darn dog! She was so sweet and smart and got us outside more and on walks where we met more neighbors etc... We took her to dog class and the dog park and our local Home Depot (they let us bring the dog) any chance we got. It shocked my family and friends who had always known me as "not really a pet person" girl. And 2 dogs? Out of the question!

Until....Andrew saw this dog one day in PetSmart. You know...they have these cute dogs in cages so you feel bad for them and instantly want to take them strait home. They also always have a tragic story the people caring for them want to make sure they tell you. Andrew was drawn to this English Pointer and asked about her. The rescue group told us that she was the best dog but had dealt with some medical issues. Mange, heart worm, and a recent tumor to name a few. After thinking over the possibility of adopting her, we felt that we really could not take on a dog financially with so many health issues. However, the option of taking in one who was healthy became more of an option. Not a done deal, just more of a possibility. I did a lot of research into having 2 dogs and found that most people with 2 find it just as easy as 1. Still, I wasn't sure I wanted the stigma of "The couple with 2 dogs". I was concerned people would think: Do those people have a life? Does their house smell bad? Are they just having dogs instead of kids? They are strange dog people. On and on this went. My hesitation list also grew: Where will they stay? Will our house smell bad? How many times a day/week will I need to vacuum? Will one teach the other bad habits? Will this be a huge expense? How will they ride in the car? Will Andrew's parents keep them both at their house when we visit? Meanwhile, Andrew (and I) just for fun started looking at http://www.petfinder.com/ to see if there were any healthy Pointers up for adoption. The list was quite long, but we had tight criteria we were looking for: male, healthy, housebroken, knew basic commands, was living in a foster home not shelter, under 3 years old.

Well...Wesson met the profile. He was all of those things and cute in the pic so we called about him. Now I have to mention that adopting June was quite the ordeal. We had a week of e-mails back and forth between us and the organization that had her. I had to take pics of the house, yard and fence. We had countless questions about how we would handle this situation or that issue. It was exhausting! Finally...we were able to come meet her. Not take her home, just meet her. Once we met her, we were told we would have to go home, sleep on it, then complete the adoption. It was intense! So when Wesson's "Foster mom" (dog adoption term for woman temporarily caring for the dog in her home) said we could come get him and try him out....I was a bit caught of guard. You mean you don't have to come see my house? I don't have a week to think about this? Andrew and I talked about it and we agreed what better way to know if he "fits in" than to take him home and try him out? That was before we knew this is how they get cha.....

We picked him up and got the tragic sob story: Wesson was on the euthanasia list at a local shelter and was to be killed. But...the Homeward Bound Rescue Group came and got him because they thought he was a fine specimen of a dog and would surly find a home. Gut wrenching right? We exchanged info with the "foster mom" and said we would get in touch with her in a couple of days with our decision. We took him home, introduced him to June, and they played for what seemed like hours. They became instant friends. We also got to know him. Wesson is everything June is not. He likes to sit and have you pet him, June always wants to play and is rarely content with just snuggling. He is very laid back and desires to please you. He is really easier than June in a lot of ways. Although I will say June is smarter and catches on to things more quickly. It is annoying the messes 8 wet paws can make vs. 4, but after a few days we were attached. How could we take him back? Even though part of me wanted to, I just couldn't see myself taking him back, driving away, and leaving him to be adopted by someone else or not at all. They got me! I was a sucker for the system the Homeward Bound Rescue Group has in place to compel people to adopt dogs. So...as you have already guessed we now have 2 dogs.

I am still getting used to it, and I will probably wish it were not so sometimes, but so far it has been OK and I really do love him. And...Andrew is expanding our pantry to create a mud room/storage room where we will keep the dogs and all of the dog things...more on that to come.

Nathalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)