Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thinking about Easter...

A couple of days ago I received an e-mail forward and out of curiosity I read through it. It was entitled “You Have To See These Pictures”…I know I am a sucker they all say that. They were pictures of metal sculptures set up on an open field depicting the crucifixion of Christ. They really were quite lovely and the sculptor responsible for them is very talented. There were multiple “scenes” communicating the life of Christ, his crucifixion, and resurrection. Under each photo was an attempt at a thought provoking caption. Here are two examples: “He disproved the law of gravity when he ascended into heaven” and “He cured the sick without prescription drugs”. Maybe a bit cheesy but true statements. Then at the end…just when I thought it wasn't one of those forwards…it said, ”If you believe in God and in Jesus Christ His Son .. Send this to all on Your buddy list. If not just ignore it. If you ignore it, just remember that Jesus said. 'If you deny me before man, I will deny you before my Father in Heaven’. You must send them to 8 people. In 8 minutes you will receive something you have long awaited.”

Seriously???

So I have to send this to 8 people or I basically don't love Jesus? And if I do send it to 8 people (as if God needs us to send e-mail forwards to bring him glory) “I will receive something I have long awaited in 8 minutes”? Hummm....really? Now I realize that most people who read this nonsense also thought that part was a little hokey. I mean if anyone truly thought their wish would come true 8 minutes after an e-mail blast they might be a little hokey. I get that, but it got me to thinking about my own pursuit of God's favor. At first I grew angry reading these lies because God does not work in response to something we do. God has a sovereign plan for us and no matter how many Jesus e-mails we send, church services we attend, or good deeds we do, we cannot control him or earn his blessings. Yet how often do I fail at resting in this truth? Even if I can see this e-mail is a load of dung, do I not have a false sense of entitlement when I do all of the "Christian things" I think are so pleasing to God? How foolish!

It was easy for me to pity the author of this forward who completely missed the point of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. It is harder to face that at times I also attempt to control God even when I know and firmly believe I can't. Isn't that idiotic? The truth is, Jesus suffered and died on that cross to absorb the wrath of God for a people (us) who could never repay their debts to him. Praise His name that Grace is through faith alone! There is such freedom in the fact that we are His through Christ and our desire to spread his name is not for our own gain, but for a longing for others to know Him. As we prepare to celebrate Easter, it was good for me to reflect on the truth of who Christ is, struggle with where I fall short, and rest in what his death and resurrection really means.

Nathalie  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)