Monday, September 27, 2010

Letters to Julianne: Grandpa Tom

Dear Julianne-

I wanted to take some time today and tell you about a man who lives in Heaven with Jesus who would have loved you very much. 11 years ago today this man met our Lord face to face after being very sick for a long time. While we are very happy that he got to go to Heaven to be with Jesus, mommy still misses him very much and wants you to know all about him. He is my Daddy, your Grandpa Tom. I am not sure where to begin in telling you about your grandfather. There are so many memories to choose from. In thinking about his life today though, I couldn't think of a more appropriate time to start sharing who he was with you.

Physically he was about the height of your daddy (Andrew) and had lighter hair and blue eyes. He also had a lot of hair for a man his age and always looked younger than he actually was. Grandpa Tom loved God, his family, the mountains, horses, saltines covered in apply jelly, and diluted red cool aid. He could fly planes and was very smart. He took me to school each morning precisely at 7AM. Once, I was not ready on time and he left without me. This event may be why your mommy is such a punctual person. He also picked me up from school from time to time. When I would jump into his red and tan Ford Bronco, he would tell me of all the girls leaving school, I was the prettiest one of all. He really meant it too...to him I was. Then we would go get a cherry lime aid together and he would ask me what I had learned new at school that day. Now, whenever I drink a cherry lime aid, I think of him and our afterschool discussions.

Your Grandpa Tom taught me how to ride a horse, snow ski, drive a car, and more easlily understand my Algebra homework. When he got sick, Grandpa Tom showed me what it means to suffer well. He was a very brave man. Although he didn't like being sick, or the thought of not getting to meet you, he trusted God's purpose for his life and his suffering. He knew that God would ultimately use it for good. Before he died, your grandfather shared that his one hope for his family was that we would be transformed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That our hearts might be forever changed by the saving grace of God. Just as he prayed that for me, it is my hope and prayer for you. That at an early age you might understand and be changed by the Gospel. I am glad that his story is a testiment for you and that he has a legacy in you. I will always miss him but am thankful for the memories and how God used his life to change mine. 

Love,
Your Mommy

3 comments:

  1. Love this post, Nathalie...such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful Nathalie! I just teared up at my desk. You painted such a vivid picture in my mind of your special times with your dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm late in reading this, but I loved it and cried... you are going to be such a beautiful mommy!

    ReplyDelete

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)