Friday, September 10, 2010

Andrew's reaction to Having a Daughter

As you know we decided to indeed discover if Baby M is a boy or a girl. I am so glad we did! I still think it is awesome when people have the discipline to wait, but for us it has helped us bond with our daughter and imagine life with a girl.  Andrew thought we were going to have a boy, along with 65% of our blog readers which I think is 9 people, and when he was told he would be a baby girl's daddy, he was a little surprised and shocked. His first reaction to me was, "We are going to have a baby!", like it wasn't until that moment it was real for him. Then as if accepting it he said, "we are going to have a daughter...wow...wait.... what if she doesn't get asked to the dance?" This comment caught be a bit off guard. This was his first reaction to the news? I tried to assure him that the dance was a long ways off. Then he said as if he hadn't heard me, "what if she DOES get asked to the dance!?" It seemed the reality of this scenario in his mind would be even worse than the first.

Even though we laughed about it, it became apparent to us how much we already love our girl and how much we want to protect her. I imagine these feelings will become even stronger once she is here. While I think it is good for us to love and protect our daughter, we are also asking the Lord to help us trust him with what he has for her life. We know that his path for her is perfectly planned and ultimately for His glory, but I suspect living this out will be difficult at times. We are praying about this.

Andrew now refers to "us" as "his girls" and it is really cute how much he has embraced having a daughter. I know she will adore him just like all the other baby girls in our life (there are 5 other baby girls in our small group alone and they all love Andrew). He talks to her and constantly touches and kisses my belly for his daddy daughter time. It is adorable and I love Andrew more or differently somehow now that we are going to be parents together.

In addition to seeing her private parts, we also got to see her heart, spine, lungs, kidneys, bladder, and stomach. Although the ultrasound photos of these anatomies are not as interesting to look at, I found them beautiful to behold! It is a miracle that all of her spine is in tact and perfectly formed. Likewise that she has functioning kidneys and bladder etc.. I am just in awe of how all of this happens in such a short amount of time and how thankful we are to God to have made our baby (at least as far as we know) healthy.

I am still eager to feel her move inside me. So far nothing on that front, but I am told I should start to feel her any time. I cannot wait for that!!

Nathalie and Baby M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)