Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Baby M’s Name

In the short time I have been pregnant; I get the following questions almost daily:

1. How are you feeling?

2. Do you know if the baby is a girl or a boy?

3. Do you have a name for her yet?

The 3rd question for me up to this point has been the one I cannot answer with certainty. Even when we were first married, Andrew and I would occasionally pass the time by thinking of names for our future children. Our future son’s name was easy to come up with for us since it is two family names, but we could never settle or agree on a girl’s name. Figures God would give us a girl so we would have to work through the challenge of coming to some consensus. When it came down to it though, the issue was Andrew and I simply had different tastes when it came to naming baby girls. In line with all previous girl name discussions, we could not agree. He loved modern, trendy names; I loved traditional old lady names (it seems these are making a comeback).

There were many long sessions that went something like this:

Andrew: What about (insert trendy name)?

Me: No…too many people are named that. What about (insert old lady name)?

Andrew: Is she going to be born in a nursing home?

The other challenge was trying to incorporate my middle name Beatriz; also my mom’s name and her mom's name. My mom and grandmother are Hispanic and it is the Spanish spelling of Beatrice. Growing up I always swore I would never pass on the name since it was an old lady name (go figure) and all I wanted was to be Nathalie Marie or Lynn or some such normal middle name. Fast forward 15 years and my husband turns out to love my middle name and insists we must keep the tradition going. I have to say I now agree with him and it is special and has grown on me a lot since I was 11 years old.

All this to say, and if you are even still reading this, we have finally found a name we both love that goes with Beatriz McClish! I have hesitated making it official, but we are calling her by her name already so it just seems wrong to name her anything else at this point.

Our daughter will be called:

Julianne Beatriz McClish

Her Mommy and Daddy and close family/friends will call her Jules occasionally for short. We love it because it is unusual without being too “out there”, to us it is lovely, and we can picture a little girl or grown up girl with this name. Finally, I can respond to question #3!


Nathalie and Baby J :)

1 comment:

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)