Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Home Stretch

Today I am 37 weeks and considered “full term”. This is very exciting since 9 months ago I felt like this day would never come. It is a HUGE blessing to be this far into the pregnancy and we are so thankful for how well we are all doing. Praise be to God! It is exciting and at the same time full of all sorts of emotions. I was going to have Andrew take my picture this morning, but we ran out of time so below is my self portrait….notice I can no longer see my feet. It has been that way for some time.



Just know I am really huge. In fact I get told this almost daily by well meaning people who must have never gone through pregnancy themselves. It is usually a co-worker who says “wow you are huge today!” something I have already thought to myself about 27 times since that is how frequently I have to visit the restroom and therefore see my reflection. I think they mean well, but seriously….if you are reading this and have never had a baby, here is some advice. The only appropriate comment to make to a pregnant woman is that she looks great. Any variation of “you look great” is also acceptable. Venture from there and you have insulted her. Ok…I feel better now.

I mentioned I am having all kinds of different emotions at the moment. One minute I feel as though I simply cannot wait another day for this baby to arrive. I want to see her and stare at this person God made from part of me and part of the man I love. I want to know if she has hair or is bald, what she sounds like, how her movements I have come so accustom to look outside the womb. The curiosity overwhelms me sometimes and although I know she will be here soon, I get impatient to meet her.

On the other hand, I am trying to be at peace with the inevitability that these are the last days Andrew and I will know as a couple without children. Our uninterrupted conversations, the ability to take off and go wherever we want whenever we want, and nights of 8 hours sleep will all be over. It seems like people love to tell us “you better enjoy this time” and we are trying, but I don’t think anyone can ever really appreciate it enough. Also, the excitement and anticipation of the baby makes it difficult to cherish this time. Doing my best though….

Finally, I feel simply tired of being pregnant. I miss running, and seeing my toes, and sleeping on my tummy, and picking things up off the floor with ease. I always thought I would be terrified of the actual birth process, but surprisingly I am ready and willing. Don’t get me wrong, it is scary, but I have come to accept that there is only one way out of this, one way to meet my daughter, and it requires me to do something billions and billions of women have done under much more difficult circumstances. This brings me comfort, and perhaps it is naïve….perhaps that is a good thing. I will let you know.

Nathalie

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe that it is almost time to meet Julianne!! You are such a beautiful mamma, and I can't wait to meet that sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic. ;) You are adorable pregnant! (Isn't that what we decided it was best to say on Sunday?)

    ReplyDelete

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)