Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Last NY Post

I was on a roll there for awhile documenting our trip out east. Then the weekend came and I didn’t feel like blogging, and now it is almost too far in the past to keep talking about. However, because Pat McClish (Andrew’s mom) has patiently been awaiting this post, I must share. After all, she was the first and is still the most diligent reader of “Those McClish’s”.


NYC the Conclusion:

The last day in a half in New York we spent seeing more sights. To our disappointment and utter discomfort, there was a terrible hot spell the days we were there. Hot and muggy I might add. One news weather man called it “the dog days of summer in May…we are seeing unseasonably warm conditions”. I did not pack for such weather as I had heard New England is lovely this time of year for jeans and layers. Fortunately, Maria’s roommate lent me an airy sun dress so I could occasionally feel some of the nearly non-existent breeze. I am forever grateful to her and her generosity to a hot, sweaty, girl in need.

First stop: Grand Central Station
It really is neat and very pretty to look at
Where are the McClish’s? My sister tells me Andrew and I are both in this shot. I still can’t find Andrew though….can you?
We noticed a lot of people in NY refuse to comply with the local rules and regulations.

Kind of random, but since we are on the subject, another example of a non-enforced rule. I can’t say I saw anyone doing this while we were there…and we saw many dogs.

Next: Staten Island, Statue of Liberty, Little Italy, and Central Park

There is a free ferry that takes you out to Staten Island. Last week some people actually were injured on one of these vessels when it hit the dock or something. It seemed pretty safe at the time…thankfully our voyage was without incident

From here we could see Lady Liberty…pretty cool for a free thing

The boat trip gave us an appetite so we headed to Little Italy for lunch. Each restaurant has their menu outside and an Italian man who tries to convince you to eat there when you stop to check it out. Eventually we settled on this place. The Italian man was convincing and they had air conditioning…sold! We were more than pleased with our selection.



AMAZING!
The next morning before we flew back home, Andrew and I spent some time in Central Park. I think this was my favorite attraction of all. It is a beautiful oasis amongst crowded dirty streets and buildings. Somehow you felt alone in the park surrounded by natural beauty. I am so glad it exists for New York’s residents and dogs to retreat to.

so peaceful...
Apparently they also film things here. We couldn’t tell if this was a Law and Order episode or gum commercial. All I know is they made that girl you really can't see walk 20 feet over and over then smile into the camera. If you ever see this scene anywhere I would love to know…

And that is NYC for us in a nutshell. Honestly, I am not sure we will be back. It was a fun place to visit, but I think my heart longs to be outside the city. I am glad we experienced it though and I admire anyone who takes on the challenge of living there.

Nathalie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)