Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4Th Of July with My Guy…and an Untimely Bathroom Break


As you well know our Nation’s Independence Day was celebrated last weekend. Our friend’s asked us to watch their dog while they were away so we settled in for a much needed lazy long weekend at home. We thought perhaps there would be others like us holding down the fort in Dallas who would want to share in the festivities with us, but it seemed most folks we know left the DFW area for the weekend or had other plans. So we made our own fun and went to the fireworks at a local park by ourselves. It was actually quite romantic minus the ants…

We packed a picnic full of deliciousness. This was my first attempt at bruschetta and it turned out to be amazing thanks to tomatoes being perfectly in season and basil growing like crazing in our herb garden. Yumm!



A couple of hours later the sun was setting and we knew it was finally time for the fireworks!



Trouble was I needed to pee all of a sudden. Other problem: the bathroom Port-o-Jon was at least a 10 minute walk from our lovely picnic location. At first I tried to suffer through the discomfort, but after some reflection on what it would be like to try to reach a toilet after the firework show (lines, people, craziness, more darkness…you get the picture), I determined it was best to get to one ASAP. I shared my feelings about this with Andrew. At first he thought I was kidding. Probably because we had already taken a trip to the bathrooms an hour before and in his mind it was time to relax and enjoy the whole reason we made the venture out there to begin with. What can I say…I have a small bladder. I offered to go and come back but he was not comfortable with me walking around in the dark with thousands of strangers without him. So, we packed all of our stuff up and starting walking toward the bathrooms and our car (it was also in that general direction) all the while knowing we would likely miss some or all of the evening’s pyrotechnics. We got some odd looks from others wondering what crazy couple packs up before the fireworks, but we hurried on until we finally made it to the Port-oJon. While these are not my favorite form of public restroom, I was very grateful for it. As I exited and grabbed my germ gel I realized we hadn’t missed the fireworks at all! In fact we were able to re-situate right next to our car and still had a great view of the show. The other fortunate consequence was immediately afterwards we were able to jump in the car and beat most of the traffic out of that place. Who’s laughing now that we packed up early? Next year I will try to time my bio breaks a little bit better though….the situation gave Andrew lots of fuel for teasing.

Nathalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)