Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pat's Granola

I made some homemade granola this weekend and thought I would share. The recipe comes from my mother-in-law Pat McClish and is quite tasty. I started making granola after reading that boxed cereal is really not very good for you. Apparently it must endure quite the unnatural process to become a puff, flake, or what have you. I am not saying I won't ever eat cereal again or anything, just wanted to make an effort to minimize the amounts since up until December, I ate it almost every morning of my life.

Pat's Granola
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
1 c water
4 tsp vanilla
8 C oats
Assorted nuts and dried fruit to taste (I like pecans, walnuts, slivered almonds, cranberries and dried cherries) I just keep adding until I feel like there are enough there...for me that is is A LOT
Measure out 8 C of oats and nuts to taste and put in a large bowl.
Then, mix brown sugar and water on stove until just begins to boil....stir often. Once it gets to the almost boiled state, remove from heat and let it cool. This is important as if you add to the oats when hot you get oatmeal...I found this out the hard way.
Preheat oven to 275
Add vanilla to sugar mixture when cool, then pour onto oat/nut mixture and stir until oats and nuts are coated
Pour onto 2 greased cake pans or cookie sheets with sides and spread all around
(I do not have pic of this...turns out I am not a great food blogger)
Instead I take pictures of my cooking helper...not that he really helps me cook...that would be gross but he does keep me company.

Bake at 275 for 45 mins. stirring every 15 mins. Your house will have a lovely smell as this is happening.

Remove from oven and cool...add dried fruit and enjoy!

I like mine on yogurt and this lasts me almost a month so it is economical too:)

Nathalie

1 comment:

  1. So fun! Can't believe you have had this blog for so long and I just now found it! I have gotten all caught up on your posts and have added you to my blog list!

    ReplyDelete

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)