Tuesday, December 21, 2010

34 weeks and starting to feel pregnant


I am now 34 weeks pregnant and beginning to understand why pregnant woman complain. Truly I feel pretty good given the honeydew melon sized baby in my belly. I am still walking at least 3 times per week and sleeping well aside from the frequent bathroom trips. For this I am grateful, there are just some discomforts now that I feel the need to mention if only for my own documentation and reflection later.

The main issue I have been having is a sharp jabbing pain in my left rib. No one told me about this common ailment but I have to say it is terrible. Pretty much any time I attempt to bend over (which I try to avoid if possible), laugh, or sometimes for no reason at all, I feel as though I am being stabbed in the chest. My doctor told me that since I am on the petite side, it is common for the uterus to expand up under the rib cage and basically try to separate them! Nice....oh and that it should feel better once the baby drops. I then asked when to expect the baby to drop...she said it is different for everyone. So I am trying to cope and joyfully awaiting the day this little girl makes her journey southward.

Everything in respect to the stabbing rib pain is relatively minor and humorous. Up until now I have not been inhibited by my belly and have been able to carry on with life and my normal activities. Now however, I am finding daily tasks to be a bit more difficult to accomplish. For example, putting my socks and shoes on is something I have always taken for granted. Of recent it requires some major energy and contortionism to achieve. Shaving my legs and any type of toe care/maintenance I would also put in this category.

I will end this post with a story. On Sunday Andrew and I attended church and were asked to sit in a row that is partially blocked by a large column. I had to move the chair in front of the column a bit to get to my seat but didn't think a lot of it. At the end of the service it was time to take communion and leave reverently or stay and pray. Andrew and I elected the first option and attempted to exit the row. Unfortunately for me, there was now a man in the chair I have previously moved blocking the column who was spending some time with the Lord. Everyone else in our row was able to exit without a problem, but as you can see from the picture above, I have a little extra girth right now and was not able to fit through! I tried to get on my tip toes and turn but my belly just would not fit. My other growing problem was the 10 people behind me also trying to leave who were wondering who was holding up the line! I could feel my face flushing and that I was creating a scene by continuing to attempt to get my body through the opening. Finally, I resolved that I had no choice but to ask the man praying to please move so that I could get out! He was very understanding and as quickly as possible extracted myself from the row. By this time I was beginning to sweat and I could feel the redness in my cheeks growing as I tried to avoid eye contact with the onlookers. I am sure I got a fair amount of glances of pity combined with an effort not to laugh. Looking back it is pretty funny but in the moment I was totally mortified.

And that my friends is 34 weeks....

Nathalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado

Colorado
We love Colorado and thought this would be nice to look at...enjoy the view:)